Some of these date all the way back to the 90's!
List 9 of the oldest jokes in history
Jokes have been around for as long as humans have been telling stories and communicating with each other. Here are 9 of the oldest jokes in history:
- "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap." - This joke dates back to Sumerian times, around 1900 BC.
- "How do you entertain a bored pharaoh? You sail a boatload of young women dressed only in fishing nets down the Nile and urge the pharaoh to go catch a fish." - This joke is from ancient Egypt, around 1600 BC.
- "A guy walks into a bar and orders a beer. He then orders 10 more and drinks them all. The bartender asks, 'Why did you order 10 beers?' The guy replies, 'I have 10 brothers, and we all drink together.' The bartender says, 'That's nice.' Then the guy orders 10 more beers. The bartender asks, 'Why did you order 10 more beers?' The guy replies, 'I have 10 sisters, and they all drink too.' The bartender says, 'That's amazing! Where do you come from?' The guy says, 'I come from a village where everyone is like that.'" - This joke is from ancient Greece, around 4th century BC.
- "What hangs at a man's thigh and wants to poke the hole that it's often poked before? Answer: A key." - This joke is from ancient Rome, around 1st century BC.
- "Two donkeys are standing at a crossroads. One donkey says to the other, 'Which way shall we go?' The other donkey replies, 'I don't care. Let's go the way with the most grass.'" - This joke is from the Talmud, a Jewish text from around 500 AD.
- "Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side." - This joke is from England in the 1840s.
- "Why was six afraid of seven? Because seven eight nine." - This joke is from the 1930s.
- "Why did the tomato turn red? Because it saw the salad dressing." - This joke is from the 1960s.
- "Why did the coffee file a police report? It got mugged." - This joke is from the 1990s.